Re: [LUG] USB storage permissions

Paul Sutton wrote:
It seems my pendrive has gone readonly again, the fstab file has it as rw, the users group is in the list, withing that I am part of the users group, so why can't I use it, ? I just copy stuff as root, but these issues need sorting out, if we are to attact new users away from windows,

I will check my configuration again,
Out of interest If i wanted to set up a group called pendrive so anyone in that group can mount / unmount and read / write to a usb pendrive how would I do that?

Udev. It addresses the long awaited problem of dynamic device management. Unfortunately, most distros don't set it up for this. Udev is capable of identifying devices and assigning permissions and device nodes based on various criteria. Google for 'udev rules howto'.
udevinfo looks very handy:
udevinfo -q all -n /dev/sda

I haven't got round to setting mine up yet, but I think it will solve most of my device management and permissions problems. It can also symlink things nicely for you.

You've just made me think- we really should be using groups such as 'pendrive' to control who can mount things, rather than just adding the 'users' option to fstab. That's a huge security risk actually- I really need to make some changes soon.

Hope this is helpful
Simon

-