Re: [LUG] Another Quick ISP thing

Tom Arrow wrote:

Hi,
Sorry for lack of communication but I'm internetless. Just thought I would warn others of a similar pit fall. About a month ago I tried to sign up to talk talk and ever since it has been a very long saga. I have been given many different dates from when it will be set up but none have come through. I guess that until the initial rush is over with it is very hit and miss. Any way this comes from school using doze (before anyone asks how I sent this). So my advice is not to try and sign up with them as it will take a very long time and probably come to nothing. At this rate I will sign up with someone else with out a contract and join when they are ready. (8mbps is good even if you have to wait.)

--
Tom (the younger)

Thanks for the warning. My dad is planning on going onto Talktalk, although his exchange (Teignmouth) is not enabled for their free service which IIRC uses Datastream rather than the regular IP Stream. He has been told he can go on their other broadband service which is £10 a month more expensive and be transferred over to the free service when it is avaliable in his exchange (I'm assuming when Carphone Warehouse install their own LLU hardware in the exchange, or when BT enable Datastream in the exchange).

I'd guess the problems would be down to the overwhelming demand for the service. Surely though they would have expected a huge amount of people wanting a free broadband service (even if it does come with a *cough* 18 month contract *cough*).

Here I'm stuck on AOL for another 10 or 11 months. I'm guessing eventually they will offer 8MBit broadband, until then I'll just have to make do with 2Mbit (unless in the lug we can all chip in and rent a 155Mbit line and setup a wireless mesh? ;-) )

Rob

-