Re: [LUG] American/ British English

Aaron Trevena wrote:
> It's a parody as far as I can tell - there is a more credible and less
> stupid 'shelly the republican', but I imagine it has a lot less google
> link-fu than this one.

One snippet from the comments made me laugh as much as the article itself:

Now that we are telling out secrets: in fact, VISTA stands for:
- - Viruses
- - Intruders
- - Spyware
- - Trojans
and
- - Adware

:-)

(So that's why it's not called Longhorn anymore!)
;-)

It is sad, though, that so many comments on the page are from people who
hit reply before engaging brain - especially when there are a so many
comments already. Some have taken the time to argue each point in the
article which is about as crazy as writing such an article in the first
place. Humour[1] can be very hard to convey in text.

[1] - Must get TBird to use the en_GB database, it keeps insisting that
colour, humour, dialogue and favourite are spelling errors!

:-(

Two nations divided by a common language.

Two cultures separated by a sense of humor. [sic]

Most "Americans" came from Europe originally, it's bonkers. It's
beginning to annoy me now that so many programmes don't have an en_GB
translation.

If anyone fancies a REALLY easy task, install GTranslator or KBabel and
go to your distribution website and search for the translation support
pages. On Debian there's:
http://www.uk.debian.org/international/l10n/po/en_GB

Download the PO file and load it in GTranslator. Fix the translations
(as above) and post a patch to the project bug tracker.

Also, go to http://www.iro.umontreal.ca/translation/HTML/index.html and
help out there. All you need to do is let the FSF deal with the
copyright issues by sending a simple letter by snail mail.

Honest, it's a simple task and one that other languages are doing far
more extensively than ours. The programmes do most of the work for you
by copying the original string into the translation box, all you need to
do is alter the spellings.

- --

Neil Williams
http://www.data-freedom.org/