Re: [LUG] Network device allocation

Rob Beard wrote:
Simon Williams wrote:

Hello.

I have a server. For obvious reasons, it is imperative that the network devices have predictable allocations. This does not seem to be the case at the moment. I don't know why.

Do you mean each network device should have the same IP addresses?

If this is the case, you will need to make sure whatever is providing the IP addresses knows that a particular MAC address has a set IP address that it needs to be allocated. The other option is to setup the network devices to use static IPs.

What devices are on your network (including router if you have one)?

I have seen "alias eth0 [module name]" in modprobe.conf, but I have the problem of two identical devices, and I'm not totally sure that the above will work properly anyway (with udev and all). Probably the best way would be to do it by hardware address, but I'm not sure how to do this. Being able to name a device "internet" or something like that may also be useful (I have 4 ethernet devices).

Any info much appreciated
Thanks
Simon

After reading the above, I assume your server has two identical network cards (possibly attached to two different switches/hubs) and require different IP addresses, but at the moment it is applying an IP address to the cards randomly?

Rob

The issue is nothing to do with IP addresses. Sorry- should have made that clearer. The problem here is the naming of the devices. Example: I have a card in PCI slot 2, a card in PCI slot 3 and a card in PCI slot 4. The card in PCI2 must always be called eth0 (and not eth1 or eth2). The card in PCI3 must always be called eth1 (and not eth0 or eth2), and the card in PCI4 must always be called eth2 (and not eth0 or eth1). It would be better if I could also assign my own names, such as "LAN", "WAN", "INTERNET", etc, rather than having to remember which eth* device is which. Currently, two of the cards (using modules 8139too and 3c59x) are unpredictably getting eth0 and eth1. The third and forth cards aren't installed yet. On some boots the 8139 is eth0, and on others the 3c59x is eth0. I would have thought that they would be allocated in the order that the modules are loaded, but maybe udev does it as it finds them and doesn't look in a predictable manner?

AFAIK, "alias eth0 8139too" just makes it possible to load the module automatically with "ifconfig eth0 up". As the modules are loaded by udev before the network is started I'm not sure that this will make any difference. Besides, I will shortly be installing a second 8139 card- which will probably confuse that no end.

Thanks
Simon

-