[LUG] Network device allocation

Hello.

I have a server. For obvious reasons, it is imperative that the network devices have predictable allocations. This does not seem to be the case at the moment. I don't know why.

I have seen "alias eth0 [module name]" in modprobe.conf, but I have the problem of two identical devices, and I'm not totally sure that the above will work properly anyway (with udev and all). Probably the best way would be to do it by hardware address, but I'm not sure how to do this. Being able to name a device "internet" or something like that may also be useful (I have 4 ethernet devices).

Any info much appreciated
Thanks
Simon

-