Re: [LUG] Permisssion denied even to root

Keith Abraham wrote:
The HD finally gave up last night so I'm writing this on the wife's
machine.

Thanks to all for the kind offers and hints on obtaining another
drive but collecting any equipment isn't viable as I'm now living in
a little village on the west coast of Cumbria.
(The local LUG is small and mostly deathly quiet.)

The wife seems remarkably sympathetic and Ebuyer have some
reasonable deals for 20-80G drives so I'll purchase one of them
online.

Nooooooo! If that drive fails it will take months to get a replacement, with lots of hassle in the meantime.

Some mentioned not getting one from a certain chain that advertises on TV a lot. If he means PC world then he's right about it being over priced or rubbish, but I bought a 250Gb 8Mb cache Samsung drive from them online just a few weeks ago. It actually turned out to be cheaper than buying a decent one off eBay of all things. Ebuyer isn't worth it. If this one fails I can take it back to the shop. It was 150 pounds or something stupid in the store, but I got it delivered to my door (for free) for only 80 pounds.
 It's worth having a look.

You should buy Samsung or Seagate drives. Maxtor used to be good, but have had major problems recently. For goodness sake don't get a Hitachi.

As an aside, drives usually die from motor or controller failure before the disk starts going bad.

Hope this helps
Simon Williams

-