Re: [LUG] Demon Internet

> Adrian Midgley wrote:
>> The managing directors and chief execs are generally (universally,
>> except in companies about to fold) interested in the service provided
>> and their customers.

I'll refer back to my comment earlier, profit is what drives modern
corporations, and if it is more profitable not to serve the customer
companies will choose not to.

It's happen to me, it happened to some of the rail franchises, and in my
business life I've seen similar decisions to do over the customer in the
interests of making short term financial targets. Arguably these targets
mean that the company survived or received further funding, but in one
case I'm fairly sure the decision making process was pretty much
entirely driven to ensure the MD got his bonus out of the venture
capitalists, since the decision may have cost the company its long term
future.

A random example - as a doctor do you think it is wise to put Arsenic in
chicken food for chickens that people will eat? Banned in Europe, common
practice in the US. Is this in the interest of US customers, and is the
EU unfairly sticking its nose into the market? If the companies truly
had their customers interest at heart, markets wouldn't need to be
regulated.

-