Re: [LUG] household names that use GNU/Linux

I think some of the rendering done for harry potter was done using Linux, (cgi)

A large room full of DEC alpha computers was used to render the graphics for titanic, yep those scene with the titanic moving throught the water were all cgi

Probably dreamworks,

I think HP have a render farm cluster that they rent out for this type of thing.

hmm who else. The met office, ( one of the meets at st peters springs to mind on that one)

Most IPS's probably run Linux or certainly some flavoir of Unix or perhaps even BSD.

http://www.mirabilis.ca/linux/linux-users.html

the above link also links here
http://mtechit.com/linux-biz/

with a long list of companies using Linux

Paul

Tom Brough wrote:

Im going to write a non technical article aimed at non technical people (which is a challenge considering the amount of technobable I get through in a day, and my inability to spell anything properly ... what can I say I was dropped on my head as a baby ! (err.... unintentionally before you call the NSPCC )).

I digress...

I want to try to prove that everybody who uses a computer connected to the internet (proprietary or not) has some contact with free software.

Google is the obvious one, but Im stuck for no.2 & no.3 (writers block I guess or lazy research). Attributable Sources (URL's) for this information would be useful too.

Thanks in advance.

Tom.

-

http://www.zleap.net