Re: [LUG] building a PC

Quoting Tony Sumner <tony@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

I've been slow to post recently because so often I find I write in
haste and then find I've said something really stupid. So it goes, but
I'm afraid I need some help with this. I am building a desktop,
starting with a smart new Biostar NF4ST-A9 mobo and Athlon 64 CPU.
I've built several before but not this combination. I put the CPU in,
with two strips of memory, small HDD and a floppy drive and switched
on, just to check that the BIOS was working, and nothing happens. The
pwr and hdd leds come on and the fans go round but nothing else. No
floppy led, no beeps and nothing on the monitor. I've tried with a
different monitor. Also the power switch will not turn it off. What
should happen I think is that the BIOS should test the memeory and
report on the IDE discs. I am not too well up in what goes on at
startup so my question is: does this indicate that the processor is
not working? Is there another possible explanation? If the BIOS is ok
does it need the processor to send out signals via the speaker, the
floppy led and the monitor? Are there some more checks I can do?

Tony Sumner

-

Have you tried checking the CMOS reset jumper. I know that some PC Chips & ECS motherboards were sent out with the CMOS reset jumper set which caused the board not too boot (I remember this being an issue from when I worked at eBuyer).

Other than that, disconnect everything, just try the board with the PSU, CPU (and heatsink & fan), memory and speaker connected. Then try powering up the board. You should get about 8 beeps from what I can remember. If you get this, try fitting the video card (a standard old PCI one would be better to test it with).

Also try it without the memory to see if you get any long beeps.

If I think of anything else I'll post it up here. I'm guessing it's a socket 939 chip & board?

Rob

-