Re: [LUG] Software Licences

On Monday 24 April 2006 21:48, Neil Williams wrote:

> > The software actually just talks to a serial port which has a network
> > interface device attached to it.  In some cases, the hardware attached
> > to the serial port is very simple.  The serial port may actually be
> > provided through a USB device and it's associated driver.
>
> Presumably the network is how the messages get passed around the track
> to the various trains?

Hi Neil

Thanks for your reply (which I have passed on), to answer your specific
question, in the majority of cases the serial port plugs into the
manufacturers DCC "Command Station", either directly or via a interface,
generally made my the manufacturer.

The computer is then capable of doing all the things you could do with the
supplied throttle.  (Which is finger tangling difficult).

The program allows you for instance to "Set Loco to run in Analogue mode" as
opposed to setting bit x of bye y to 1.

It also does lots lots more.

Peter

-