Re: [LUG] Dreamweaver, Flash and Fireworks on Ubuntu

Ruairi Fullam wrote:
Hi,

I have been lingering on the list for a fair while now and been fascinated by the quality of posts and responses. Over the last weekend, I attended the Breakpoint Demoscene party in Binghem, Germany and was very surprised with the amount of alternative platforms being used, from all flavours of Linux to AmigaOS.

A lot of my software I use under Windows is GPL / LGPL / OSS - I'm not fed up with Windows per se, I am just curious as to whether Linux can handle some vital elements of my work flow, specifically Flash and Dreamweaver 2004 which of course aren't Open Source. I have used Wine in the past and had variable success. I would consider using Xen as a virtualisation tool as long as it doesn't chew CPU cycles when the emulated PC is idle, and provides a decent throughput and response.

The full switch is tempting, I have used Mac OS X for a long time and enjoyed it apart from some of the slower parts of the interface (I don't care that much for animated windows, as long as they are smartly presented and not too garish). Does anyone have real world experience with running these kinds of Windows apps under Wine?

Any responses appreciated.

Ruairi

-

I, as many now do, use firefox and specifically block Flash! Believe it or not there isn't anything that flash can do that JavaScript cant. The editors could put out working JavaScript -but then people would realise that, like so many things on the internet, they are paying for something they get for free anyway!

-