[LUG] IPCOP & BIND

Ok guys, PLEASE don't shoot me down for maybe sounding thick to you but I
have a problem maybe (?) one of you might be able to help out with hopefully

There is a specific setup that I have been asked to look at changing where
by there is one PC acting as a firewall sat between the internet and an
internal network. Now, currently this PC is an old Debian setup with a
custom IPTABLES script setup with firewall rules to block/allow access to
internal servers.

I've been asked to look at replacing this Debian setup with something more
akin to a dedicated firewall distro and I've been looking at IPCOP because
of it's nice simple setup, logging, and informative capabilities (so any non
Linux friendly techies could re-set it up if needed with only limited
coaching).

Now the problem is this ... the current Debian setup also has a BIND9 DNS
server set up on it (bad practice I know running a firewall and DNS server
on the same machine) and they want the replacement PC to have the same. The
problem is although I can get a "root" prompt on the IPCOP pc, because it is
effectively a locked down distro that removes all software it doesn't need,
I'm not exactly sure how to go about installing BIND9!! I mean I know HOW to
install it from source, but there is no "MAKE" or "GCC" so I can't compile
it from source and I'm lacking most if not all of the major "installation"
components ... anyone got any clue as to how I can go about doing something
about adding these because I can download them, but they come tarballed or
gzipped and it lacks these commands too?? (what's quite funny/ironic is that
if you download "TAR" or "GZIP" they come in either gzipped or tarballed
files too - how are you supposed to untar/gzip them if they are the programs
you want to untar/gizp!!?!?!?!?!)

Hope someone might be able to help ...

Gary

-