Re: [LUG] hw check

Steve Marvell wrote:
Here's the plan, can anyone spot any mistakes:

Motherboard:

MSI RS482M4-ILD SKT939 Radeon XPRESS 200 (RS482) Chipset Dual DDR400
PCI-E MATX

http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?rb=18142126544&action=c2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=97839

57.87
No AGP?
Processor:

AMD (Venice) Athlon 64Bit 3000+ Socket 939pin 512k L2cache 90nm

http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?rb=18142327048&action=c2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=88105

81.43

Memory:

(I couldn't find the motherboard on the Crucial site so I went for
Crucial DDR333 which is mentioned on the motherboard spec.)

Crucial 2GB kit (1GBx2) DDR PC2700 CL=2.5 UNBUFFERED NON-ECC DDR333
2.5V 128Meg x 64

http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?rb=18142606423&action=c2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=92006

124.04

HDD:

Maxtor 6L080M0 Plus 10 80GB 7200RPM SATA/150 8MB Cache - OEM

http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?action=c2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=97360

2 x 36.90

Case:

Ebuyer Extra Value C0215 ATX Case in Black with USB2.0/Audio and 350w PSU

http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?rb=18143122002&action=c2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=88010

29.37

Do I nedd 400W PSU?
Do I need to buy a power cord if it's not got one?
Just checked the spec - Yes you'll need to buy a power cord.

£31.17 inc VAT gets you this one with a 480W PSU.

http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?rb=18145509153&action=c2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=109126

I'm running a 550W PSU with an Athlon 2400+. Maybe overkill, but I have two internal hard disks, about 14 fans in total, a CD and all the usual gubbins to run. I think a 350W is a tad shy for an Athlon 64. Word of warning about cheap PSUs. They tend to quote the top end of what they can manage downhill in a hurricane. Good quality PSUs will a) last longer b) run reliably at their quoted rate, c) run *cooler* as it won't be slogging itself to death all the time. Best way to check (which I admit is not possible *before* buying online) is by weight. A good heavy PSU will outrun a cheap light PSU every time.

For £20 inc VAT you could get an Ebuyer 550W PSU. Ok it's still the cheap end of the market but it'll serve you better (imho) than a 300W.

Have a look at Ebuyer's PSU rage.. Hiper are very good - I had one for a long time - a triple fan model that kept the system verycoolthankyouverymuch! :) Enermax are the dog's wotsits, but then you're paying a lot for the name.

Also the cheaper cases are like tin. Limited cooling through being very thin. Possible to cut your hand on the edges working with it. Lack of drivebays and fan mounting points.

Total price: 366.57 inc VAT

Plus the price of a DVD thingy, which I can't find because ebuyer is
not responding.
http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?action=c2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=96691

LG are a good brand :)
Any comments?
*Cooling*

You said earlier in the thread "I'll be killing it with my own stuff".... even more reason for good cooling to keep it reliable (and for a decent PSU ;))

A CPU cooler is a must. That puppy's going to *need* it. I'd suggest a Coolermaster, such as the CoolerMaster Hyper6+ or the Hyper48 (both available from www.overclockers.co.uk ) I have an Aero7+ which keeps my system at a very nice 28-30C :)

Also a few case fans - check what space your chosen box has for mounting extras.

Kind regards,

Julian