Re: [LUG] Printer woes

Neil Winchurst wrote:
I have a new computer running Mandriva2006. My printer works fine from
Open Office (Epson photo 810).

When I tried to print a postscript document I got the following error
message

Unable to start child process. The KDE print server (kdeprintd) could
not be contacted. Check that this server is running.

Can anyone help please?
Seems you're not the only one. Googling shows quite a few people with the same error on a variety of distros. Not many *answers* though, except for one guy who said he ran 'kded' and his printing came back. I think kded is the KDE daemon (although one of the more knowledgeable guys will no doubt explain exactly what it is). Anyway apparently restarting it cleared the problem.

Kind regards,

Julian