Fwd: Re: [LUG] sata woes

Just sent this by accident to Julian... whoops... I didn't click reply
to list. Doh!

Anyway... mail which was supposed to be sent to the LUG is below...

Quoting Julian Hall <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxx>:

*Dual Channel*  Make sure the board supports it, not all boards do
(although I'd guess this is disappearing with the new boards).

One thing to bear in mind, Socket 754 motherboards DO NOT support dual
channel.  It's a limitation of the processors themselves.

Crucial memory (2Gb kit) - £151.
OCZ (2Gb kit states specifically for dual channel) - £121.75 (I have
the 1Gb OCZ kit and they specify in the description they are matched
for dual channel - be wary of just picking two of anything - OCZ
guarantee they'll work).

I'd second Crucial memory, it has a lifetime warranty and they can
match the memory modules up to the board.

YMMV depending on what board you pick, CPU, memory etc, but with this
lot you could get board, CPU and memory for under £200 (ex VAT and
dely).

Steve, how much are you planning on spending, and are you planning on
building the system yourself from parts or would you prefer a pre-built
system?

Rob

----- End forwarded message -----