Re: [LUG] Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(3,8)

Julian Hall wrote:

> In /dev there are loads of hdaNs so I'll just try and trawl through
> and see if any of them work out.

Don't assume it is /dev/hda, maybe /dev/hdc or /dev/sda depends on your
hardware. During the boot process the kernel normally see the disks, and
logs how it will refer to them.

In the output of "dmesg" I have;

Probing IDE interface ide1...
hdc: HL-DT-ST CD-RW/DVD-ROM GCC-4480B, ATAPI CD/DVD-ROM drive
hdd: OnStream DI-30, ATAPI TAPE drive

So I know my DVD is /dev/hdc and my tape drive /dev/hdd

The SCSI driver prints out slightly less helpful, but relatively obvious
messages suggesting I have an 80GB disk called /dev/sda

i.e.

scsi0: scanning scsi channel 0 for logical drives.
  Vendor: MegaRAID  Model: LD 0 RAID1   76G  Rev: 6.62

Followed a bit later by;

sda: asking for cache data failed
sda: assuming drive cache: write through
sda: asking for cache data failed
sda: assuming drive cache: write through
 sda: sda1 sda2 < sda5 sda6 >

In these days of SCSI, SATA, and Flash disks, I don't even try and
remember what is what.