[LUG] Re: Local Primary 'upgrading pc/windows'

I am the network manager at Woodlands (for a little while longer, they
are beginning an interview process now, so if anyone is interested in
the network manager post here call on 01752 300101). We run portions
of the karoshi project (Hal).  It is a wonderful package, and I wish
there was more I could implement (We use the filter/proxy,
intranet/website aspects).  The reason a full conversion never
happened is two-fold:

Clients/users:  Woodlands is a special-needs school, and has invested
heavily in to special-needs accessability software that demands a
windows client to run on (clicker, writing with symbols, 2Simple
products, Lego Robotics), not to mention the proprietary accessability
hardware (switches, head-to-mouse tracker, touchscreens).  I spent a
great many hours grooming wine to try and fulfill these needs, but
there was always the knowledge that the "next version" would require
either further grooming or would just not operate under wine.
All-those man hours added up against linux being <cough> workable on
the client machines.

Administration Programs:  Aside from the clients running linux, the
school here operates a windows-only (until it becomes web-based)
teacher administration program (www.recordingandassessment.co.uk)
which also demands Office/Access (which the school also heavily
invested in spite of the predecessor pushing OOo).

In my 2 years here, what has worked are selected dual-boot systems (or
an qemu embedded version such as DSL), ESPECIALLY for those older
windows programs that refuse to run under XP.  On the windows boxes,
offering (not enforcing) use of OSS (firefox, OOo, Thunderbird,
ZipGenius, Deepburner) has helped the users who want to learn about
open and/or free alternatives.  Do remember though, this is not an
average primary school, so the needs are much more particular than
other schools I have supported (I won't mention school politics
anymore than to say they can be frustrating at times).

A good resource for OSS school information & programs is
http://www.schoolforge.org.uk/

Another consideration, is to find out if the school would be willing
to purchase a Linspire setup, which has been doing a considerable
amount of educational sector marketing.  If I could go back and do
some things differently, I would have pushed win4lin or a similar
pay-for linux/windows solution.  Since your push is coming from a
clean slate, these two links will help you prepare:

http://www.bellevuelinux.org/linux_educ.html
http://www.bellevuelinux.org/edu_resources.html

I would make sure the headteacher understands that what you propose
does not mean "throwing away"  any software investments thus far, and
that they will still be able to run all their programs.  Also, I would
take care not to over-estimate Microsoft Educational Licensing costs.
They are more competitive in education than many may assume.  Chances
are MS has already at some point in time, either visited or offered
some type of 'free' (like child internet safety) training program, and
they will schmooze any head or ICT Coordinator with clever sales
pitches.

Kevin