Re: [LUG] Do we qualify for funding under the New Opportunties Fund ?

> Sounds a good idea, but your right regarding location, I am in
> Paignton, Round here Dartington Tech is the main training centre
> offering Courses in Windows type stuff of course.
>
> Any such exposure to Linux should also be backed up by a big as possible
> push for the adoption, that way we are giving people skills that are
> needed by industry,
>
> I think the big players are
>
> IBM
> Novell / Suse
> Sun Micros systems
> Redhat
> HP
>
> If we can start by getting them to recognise the untapped marked within
> Devon / Cornwall, and become partners with them, then that will be a
> big help, as in effect once we have a location for training, we can
> perhaps offer somewhere for them to give their training courses, do
> this in say plymouth, and you could be onto a winner.

It would also be good if we could find another couple of places, maybe one or two
locations in Cornwall (to make it easier for those people in Cornwall) and maybe
one in Exeter and another in Torquay/Paignton too.

Then theres North Devon too....

> Hardly any big IT events ever happen this side of bristol, as a result
> there is a huge brain drain out of the area, due to lack of big guns
> downhere.
>
> Problem is I have no idea on how to organise things like this, I can
> arrange a meeting venue for the lug, but no idea what is involved with
> regard to setting up larger conferences. Any idea to who organises
> things such as cebit, etc.
>
> I still think we should start off by promoting free software, using
> these companies to help, (perhaps even sponsor events, give talks
> etc), and capatalise on a certain companies delayed lauch of their
> latest operating system, and hopefully steal their customers from under
> their noses.
>
> Paul

Anyone good at giving talks?

Rob