Re: [LUG] Do we qualify for funding under the New Opportunties Fund ?

Sounds a good idea, but your right regarding location, I am in Paignton, Round here Dartington Tech is the main training centre offering Courses in Windows type stuff of course.

Any such exposure to Linux should also be backed up by a big as possible push for the adoption, that way we are giving people skills that are needed by industry,
I think the big players are

IBM
Novell / Suse
Sun Micros systems
Redhat
HP

If we can start by getting them to recognise the untapped marked within Devon / Cornwall, and become partners with them, then that will be a big help, as in effect once we have a location for training, we can perhaps offer somewhere for them to give their training courses, do this in say plymouth, and you could be onto a winner.

Hardly any big IT events ever happen this side of bristol, as a result there is a huge brain drain out of the area, due to lack of big guns downhere.

Problem is I have no idea on how to organise things like this, I can arrange a meeting venue for the lug, but no idea what is involved with regard to setting up larger conferences. Any idea to who organises things such as cebit, etc.

I still think we should start off by promoting free software, using these companies to help, (perhaps even sponsor events, give talks etc), and capatalise on a certain companies delayed lauch of their latest operating system, and hopefully steal their customers from under their noses.

Paul

I have been scanning through this :-
http://www.nof.org.uk/documents/live/6361p__gen_eng.pdf

Interestingly one of the projects that NOF get involved with is ICT
Learning Centres. Would we as a group wish to get involved in setting
one of these up using Free Software at the core ?

It may be a great way to get a permanent venue, and improve the
delivery and public exposure to free software.

Constructive views please.

Tom.

Tom,

I like the idea and would be willing to put some time in. I have
volunteered in local computer centres in the past. I think the main
problem is location, we are all quite spread out and would need to find
a location that worked for the organisers and had a need that NOF would
fund. Maybe we need to come up with a new angle.

Sorry not to be able to add more. Just about to leave on holiday for the
week.

Cheers,

Pete

http://www.zleap.net