Re: [LUG] Running linux from a USB Pen Drive

On Fri, 24 Mar 2006 11:56:09 +0000
Rob Beard wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> I've recently taken the plunge and bought myself a USB pen drive.  It's starting
> be a handy addition to my toolkit.
>
> A while ago I read up that there is a portable version of OpenOffice.org (for
> Windows I think) that can be loaded and run from a USB pen drive.  I'm downloading
> this at the moment and I'm hoping I can use it at work (we have Office XP) and I
> use OOo at home and generally only save in Open file formats.
>
> This got me thinking, how would I go about installing a basic Linux OS with say
> Firefox, Thunderbird and OOo.org on it?
>
> I see that there are distros like Damn Small Linux which are fairly small.  Having
> not tried them I don't know if it'll fit what I'm looking for.  I did think of
> Debian, but I haven't got the foggiest on how to get starting installing Debian on
> a USB key.
>
> Does anyone know of any How To's?
>
> By the way, if it's any help, I have a 256MB USB2.0 pen drive at the moment.
>
> Rob

If I remember correctly, FeatherLinux is designed to be put onto a USB drive and
booted from it.  There was some magic needed though, as pendrives die pretty quickly
when written to lots

Grant.

--
Unix:  Some say the learning curve is steep, but you only have to climb it once.