Re: [LUG] Running linux from a USB Pen Drive

On Fri Mar 24 12:32 , Henry Bremridge <henry.bremridge@xxxxxxxxx> sent:

>On Fri, Mar 24, 2006 at 11:56:09AM +0000, Rob Beard wrote:
>> Hi folks,
>>
>> I've recently taken the plunge and bought myself a USB pen drive. It's starting
>> be a handy addition to my toolkit.
>>
>> A while ago I read up that there is a portable version of OpenOffice.org (for
>> Windows I think) that can be loaded and run from a USB pen drive. I'm
downloading
>> this at the moment and I'm hoping I can use it at work (we have Office XP) and I
>> use OOo at home and generally only save in Open file formats.
>>
>> This got me thinking, how would I go about installing a basic Linux OS with say
>> Firefox, Thunderbird and OOo.org on it?
>>
>> I see that there are distros like Damn Small Linux which are fairly small.
Having
>> not tried them I don't know if it'll fit what I'm looking for. I did think of
>> Debian, but I haven't got the foggiest on how to get starting installing Debian
>on
>> a USB key.
>>
>> Does anyone know of any How To's?
>>

>I have thought of getting DSL and then using it to log on to my machine
>while travelling, so I wait to see the responses.
>
>However at the moment I use Thunderbird, gpg and gaim on a USB drive
>and they work well. The installation instructions (also for openoffice,
>firefox and others) are at
>
>http://johnhaller.com/jh/mozilla/portable_thunderbird/
>
>I installed version 1.07 and then upgraded it as suggested. Works like a
charm

>> By the way, if it's any help, I have a 256MB USB2.0 pen drive at the moment.
>>
>> Rob

Thanks for the link.  I'll check that out.  I think I might invest in a couple of
these USB pen drives.  Maybe I could then have one for OOo.org, Thunderbird, and
Firefox on Windows and then another with a bootable Linux distro (with the above,
plus some extra useful file & drive tools too).

Rob