Re: [LUG] Re: OT Re: Noisy phone lines

On Wed, Mar 08, 2006 at 10:18:15PM +0000, Kevin Tunison wrote:
> I like the water/ripple ananology for just starting out with the
> physics of waves.  it's a good visual.  A subtle but definite
> difference.  At first I wanted to argue your point but I found you to
> be right :-)  I came across this good visual resource for the physics
> behind waves.
>
> http://www.physicsclassroom.com/Class/waves/U10L1a.html
>
> On 3/8/06, Neil Williams <linux@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > On Wednesday 08 March 2006 8:51 pm, John Botwright wrote:
> > > A good analogy is ripples on water. The water may be stationary, but the
> > > ripples are travelling.
> >
> > ?? The water is moving vertically. Only when it gets into shallow water does
> > the wave cause lateral movement, and that's only due to gravity. Don't
> > confuse waves with tides.
> >
> > The "movement" of the ripple is an illusion arising from surface tension.

Yes that is a good point about the tides, Neil.
I imagine I could prove it by measuring the tidal rate in a calm coral
lagoon, while someone else measures the tidal rate of a blustery N.Devon
shore...

I must object to your second statement though. The "movement" of a wave
is no more an illusion than the "speed" of sound is. If you can measure
it, then it is real*. If you can't, then it is an illusion.

Practical experiment using a skipping rope makes it a bit easier to
understand, but I don't suppose anyone other than the most hardcore
physics geek would go and buy a skipping rope just to understand their
broadband!!!

Cheers,
JB

* And Descartes can get lost!!!