[LUG] AJAX patented?

Who ever said the battle against software patents was won?!

http://www.regdeveloper.co.uk/2006/02/23/balthaser_rich_media_patent/

"The US Patent and Trade Mark Office (USPTO) has awarded Balthaser Online a
patent covering "methods, systems and processes for the design and creation
of rich-media applications via the internet". Quite a broad award."

applications .. i.e. software.

Another clear example of how the US patent system is NOT the model we need for
the EU.

Also a demonstration that US patents, no matter how inapplicable they may or
may not be in the EU and elsewhere, will have a real impact on all internet
users.

"According to Balthaser, its patent covers all rich media technology
implementations including Adobe/Macromedia's Flash and Flex, Sun
Microsystems' Java, the community-developed AJAX and XAML, and all device
footprints which access "rich-media internet applications", including
desktops, mobile devices, set-top-boxes and video game consoles."

RIP Web 2.0?

Reminiscent of BT's hyperlink patent - it deserves the same fate too. Will the
big guns pay up (leaving the AJAX community in the cold) or fight? Watch this
space.

Maybe, just maybe, this parasitic company has taken on too many large
corporate interests in one hit. If the affected parties work together, maybe
we could all win against aggressive patent holding companies.

--

Neil Williams