Re: [LUG] Powercuts

On Wednesday 08 February 2006 9:06 pm, Simon Waters wrote:
> Thomas Arrow wrote:
> > very used to  switching to a blank terminal logging in as root then
> > issuing "shutdown -r  0"

I never seem to reboot anymore, it's only ever complete shutdowns with
'shutdown -h now' - once to add more sockets in the office (so mains power
off), this powercut and that's about it. Prior to this, both boxes had been
running for best part of 10 months.

> > No chance for a typo anywhere there.

Thankfully, I've got a rather noisy harddrive in that box so I get some chance
of knowing that the shutdown has begun when the activity rises. It doesn't
power off though (old m'board) so that's a case of wait and hope.

> I still type "now" for "0" weird I know.

(I didn't know 0 was allowed.)
:-)

That is one command that should just *not* change, IMHO.
(If it does, I'll need an alias to the old one!)

--

Neil Williams