Re: [LUG] Debian Sarge: trying to remove gaim

On Fri, Feb 03, 2006 at 10:16:51PM +0000, Neil Williams wrote:
> On Friday 03 February 2006 9:56 pm, Henry Bremridge wrote:
> > However:
> > 1/ Apt-get remove gaim doesn't
>
> Not because of a problem with the gaim package, I suspect you would get
> exactly the same problem installing or removing any package at the moment.
> You need to fix the dpkg error first.
>
> What happens if you use:
> # apt-get -f install

Tries to remove gaim and then fails. The error message is

    ldconfig: Writing of cache data failed

> If that completes without errors, try installing libgpgme11 again (yes,
> install, not remove) and it that completes OK (or reports it is up to date),
> return again to your other (unrelated) apt-get tasks.

No joy, same error

> > The following packages are only half configured, probably due to problems
> > configuring them the first time.  The configuration should be retried using
> > dpkg --configure <package> or the configure menu option in dselect:
> >  libgpgme11           GPGME - GnuPG Made Easy
> >
> >             When I run dpkg --configure libgpgme11, then I get the error
> >             message "subprocess post-installation script returned error
> >             exit status 1"
>
> OK, that's the very, very last line. The actual bug is somewhere above that
> line.
> :-)

    The only earlier error is that ldconfig line (see above)

> >             When I try dpkg --remove gaim then I get the same error
> >             message as above "subprocess ...etc etc"
>
> You'll continue to get the same until the last dpkg instruction (gpgme) is
> completed. Installing or removing any package will raise the error.
>
> > -   How do I find out what other programs rely on libgpgme11: or how do
> >     I configure it
>
> If apt-get -f install (the -f is vital) doesn't solve it, try installing
> libgpgme11 (yes, install - remove will probably require the removal of
> working packages that you actually want to retain). Then watch the errors
> carefully and find out where libgpgme11 is *really* failing.

Regarding Simon's point of what went wrong with gaim in the first place:
on installing it the first time, I had no problems but then on trying to
use it, it died on me. In trying to run gaim from a console, the error
message was "Gaim has segfaulted and attempted to dump a core file". I
have sent the required backtrace to sourceforge

dpkg --purge gaim or dpkg --purge libgpgme11 both give the same error
message
    ldconfig: Writing of cache data failed