[LUG] Debian Sarge: trying to remove gaim

For some reason gaim has never worked on this machine, I do not know
why. Speaking today with Neil, I tried to unload gaim and install
centreicq

so
apt-get remove gaim
apt-get install centreicq

However:
1/ Apt-get remove gaim doesn't
2/ I can't install centericq (apparently it tries to remove gaim, gives
up and stops)

On running dpkg --audit I get the following

The following packages are only half configured, probably due to problems
configuring them the first time.  The configuration should be retried using
dpkg --configure <package> or the configure menu option in dselect:
 libgpgme11           GPGME - GnuPG Made Easy

            When I run dpkg --configure libgpgme11, then I get the error
            message "subprocess post-installation script returned error
            exit status 1"

The following packages are only half installed, due to problems during
installation.  The installation can probably be completed by retrying it;
the packages can be removed using dselect or dpkg --remove:
 gaim                 multi-protocol instant messaging client

            When I try dpkg --remove gaim then I get the same error
            message as above "subprocess ...etc etc"

When I check aptitude for libgpgme11 then apparently I have no installed
packages that depend on it, but intericq does apparently depend on it

Question

-   How do I find out what other programs rely on libgpgme11: or how do
    I configure it
-   How do I remove gaim and libgpgme11 from the system (and then try
    re-install intericq)
-   Any other recommendations?

Henry