Re: [LUG] Listing all installed Debian packages?

Grant Sewell wrote:

So the that command-line is what I need to use to generate a "this is
what needs to be installed on system Y for it to be the same(ish) as
system X"?  How can I do this, though?  Let's imagine that I'm about
to install a fresh instance of Debian onto a nice shiny new machine

Install a minimal system, and then rtfm (Section 6.4.9).

http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/reference/ch-package.en.html#s-record

I think some of the automated install tools will take this file as input as well, for cloning systems.

To be honest getting the package selection the same is the least of your worries on cloning a Debian box. It would take only a few seconds to script the output of "dpkg -l" or any of the other tools to do this, if it hadn't already been done for you, and if a package happened to be missing, well it is easy enough to fix.

The hard stuff is things like config files, dpkg can be persuaded to tell you which of these have been modified since installation with a little jiggery pokery. The Debian reference only makes vague reference to such things alas.