Re: [LUG] VPN Problems

John Horne wrote:
On 1/24/06, Robin Cornelius <robin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
        And is this pptp and 128bit MPE any good, i have seen not so
good reports out on the net but can i rely on it? I know its not as
        good as X509 and ipsec as this has perfect forward security
        and other stuff.

We use PPTP/MPPE within the University with no problems (so far!). Only
downside we have found is that PDA's seem to require MPPC (compression)
and sometimes (older ones I guess) a lower encryption level - 56-bit it
seems. Also older MS W2K workstations will use 40-bit encryption until
they install SP3 which has 128-bit support. We do support all those, but
with the new 2.6.15 (?) kernel having the MPPE module built-in we may
well soon drop MPPC and anything other than 128-bit encryption.

Glad to know people here are using it in production, There are MPPE patches available for older kernels and I have built the mppe patch for debian 2.6.8 when i first considered mppe but now i am back to a stock debian kernel.

There is a high encryption pack avaiable for W2K to avoid the whole SP3 upgrade

I must say having the router with VPN as well makes life *so* much easier, the router also has syslog facilities so i can just send its log to the debian server and keep an eye on it.

Best regards

Robin