Re: [LUG] VPN Problems

On 1/24/06, Robin Cornelius <robin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>         And is this pptp and 128bit MPE any good, i have seen not so
>         good
>         reports out on the net but can i rely on it? I know its not as
>         good as X509 and ipsec as this has perfect forward security
>         and other stuff.

We use PPTP/MPPE within the University with no problems (so far!). Only
downside we have found is that PDA's seem to require MPPC (compression)
and sometimes (older ones I guess) a lower encryption level - 56-bit it
seems. Also older MS W2K workstations will use 40-bit encryption until
they install SP3 which has 128-bit support. We do support all those, but
with the new 2.6.15 (?) kernel having the MPPE module built-in we may
well soon drop MPPC and anything other than 128-bit encryption.

You are right though that IPSec/X509 is more secure.

John.