Re: [LUG] Broadband With Linux

On 22/01/06, Neil Stone <neil@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Rob Beard wrote:
> Ben Goodger wrote:
>
>>     Easiest way by far, Router with built in DHCP server..
>>

>>     Configure once, additional nodes will auto configure... you'll never
>>     need to remember any more settings..
>>

>> Just don't try it with AOL. And don't ask me about my experience with
>> it...
>>
>> --
>> Ben Goodger
>> #391382
>
> Nothing wrong with AOL, they just don't support routers.  I'm running a
> SpeedTouch 510v4 router with AOL.  The trick is to enter the username as
> screenname@xxxxxxx rather than just the screenname part.  Works a treat
> after that.
>
> Rob

That and the fact that only the 1st 8 chars of a passwd matter, put any
more in and it fails to authenticate..

And their weird MTU, lack of support for IPv6, Irish callcentres, "Live Help" people whose job description is to copy and paste prewritten HOWTOs, and the fact that I can't get their service to work in any Linux distro, even with a supported router...

Plus their cancelling system is a load of crap.

--
Ben Goodger
#391382