[LUG] mysql replication and backups

Hello

I have two mysql servers set up with bi-directional replication, that
is to say that they are both masters and they are both slaves.

This works beautifully.

However .. backups ...

I would normally dump the databases to sql every week. Then delete the
binary logs. On a daily basis, I'd flush the logs to have one per day.

Nice and simple.

There are not billions of transactions, so I could get away with just
the weekly dump.

I can do this on just one of the servers, because they are both the
same.

I've tried a few things and found that I end up trashing the
relationship between the two.

Any clues?

This is mysql 4.1 on debian stable.

Steve