Re: [LUG] Mounting NTFS

On Tuesday 17 Jan 2006 12:21, Kelly Jones wrote:
> A friend is having problems mounting his Windows partition in suse 10,
> we have created a mount point and given the mount point 777 permissions
> but when we mount the ntfs partition the permissions change back to read
> only for the owner (root)
> Is this an ntfs specific problem or something else?

You need to specify permissions and/or a user ID in the mount command (or in
fstab if you're mounting through there). E.g.

mount /dev/sda1 /mnt -t ntfs -o user,uid=username

The 'user' option specifies that normal users can mount and unmount the
filesystem (which I suspect will be useful in this case) and 'uid' specifies
the username which will own all the files within the filesystem (and so can
read/write to them).
If you need more than one user to be able to access the filesystem, then
instead of the 'uid' option you can use 'gid=users' to allow every user in
the users group to access it, or 'umask=0777' to allow all users full
permissions. See the 'man mount' for more general and NTFS-specific options.

> Is it still not advisable to write to an ntfs volume?

As far as I'm aware it is now considered reasonably safe. There used to be a
warning in the kernel config strongly discouraging use of it, but that was
taken out a while ago. That said, you may want to back-up before attempting
it for the first time in case there's some bug in the kernel (SUSE patch it a
lot and so could have added something which breaks NTFS write support).

Regards,
David.

--
David Johnson