[LUG] css file in site root called from a subdirectory

Hi

if have a file called index.html and I want to call style.css, I just use style.css
what happens if the file is  /firstxv/first.html

how do I call the css file, as I need to reference it as being in the site root.

I was thinking of something like ../style.css

I am using matts template to see if I can make the prfc site any better, I want to keep all files for each section separate, so I am calling each html page from index by doing ./directory/file.html

I set up the first few then realised that doing this won't load the css file. I need to reference back a level, it took a while to figure out how to reference a directory up

thanks in advanced for any help.

Paul