Re: [LUG] Replacing Windows Small Business Server

I have used (installed, set up, evaluated for my purposes, moved on
after a few years from, MS SBS.

On Mon, 2006-01-09 at 12:09 +0000, Ruairi Fullam wrote:

>  From Exchange, the only functionality required for definite is a shared
> mail folder, where mails can be dragged into and left accessible by
> everyone. Secondly, it'd be shared contacts.
> So - I'm assuming I can use Samba and Cups for the first two, but the
> Exchange part I'm a little confused with. I know very little about IMAP
> - would this acheive it?

I use IMAP - dovecot - by having an accoujnt to which several of the
desktop email clients have the ID and password.

It works.

A potential problem is that you need some way to indicate that a
particular email has been taken up by someone, and isn't still awaiting
being dealt with.  Not a problem for small groups.
Using Thunderbird and Evolution.

> Outlook 2003 connectivity isn't essential but would really help. If
> something like Thunderbird would do it, that's fine.

Evolution, which I use but don't specially like, has the Exchange
Connector, but to connect to one Exchange Server one group of users seem
to need to, we use Firefox to Outlook Web Access (a webserver in
Exchange I think).

MediaWiki looks good for a central store for unstructured information.

--
Dr Adrian Midgley
www.defoam.net