Re: [LUG] Re: Teenagers, bewilderable middle-aged women; distributing Ubuntu

It's important to get across that Linux is the kernel, GNU is a set of tools and a philosopy of free software (comments / corrections on this welcome) I think the barrier between kernel and shell tools, kde, X is getting clouded, partly thanks to distros, it's important to get across that when say k3b crashes and bombs it's k3b that has done that. and the kernel is still running happily, How often does an application crash, and take the whole system with it, to the point where you have to hit reset, and you have tried to ssh or telnet in to kill the bad process. I do agree however you need to get across its stability, however there are other advantages, does not get affeced by viruses in the same way, again it's 100% virus proof, or 100% hack proof, but alot of that has to do with the user, and how the user treats security, (type of password, where that password is stored, i.e not on a post it note next to the computer etc).

Paul

Chris Hands wrote:

I also think it's important to give people a correct view of GNU/Linux
before they use it. i.e. don't say something like "it never crashes"
because then when something goes wrong it will put them of as their
expectations were higher (and some application is guaranteed to crash
for them at some point)