[LUG] Installing gentoo stage 1

Hi,
Well I have decided to take the plunge and try and install gentoo. After reading the docs I got the the installing a tarball stage and oddly saw that they do not support stage1&2 installs. Now I'm wondering if i may as well go the whole hog and get someone to explain how to do a stage 1 install or just follow the instructions for a stage 3 install. Just seems a shame not to really do the job properly. I'm off to bed but maybe someone can explain how or whether it is not worth it in the morning.
Thanks

--
Tom (the younger)