Re: [LUG] buying a laptop, and some m$ talk

hello Mark,
thanks for your thoughts.

 Most of the teenage lads I know have really high end
> machines so they can play
> the latest gore-fests on their XP machines ;)
> Imagine the look on the 16 year old hax0rz face when
> his parents present him
> with a new machine running something other than XP -
> and with low end
> hardware!

actually I mentioned this, but he's not going to get a
high end machine.
We bought him a pc with xp and a graphics card last
year, and he basically destroyed it by not bothering
with security, anti-virus or -anything- other than
avp2. He'd sit up till 5.00am wrapped in a blanket,
playing avp2. Anything more useful than that appeared,
in his world, to be a parents job. Oh except p2p.

the pc ended up needing xp reinstalled every month or
so.

This time round, theres less money in the kitty, and
the pc is basically to bribe him into not going
anywhere, or doing anything. (he held a katana to a
rivals throat the other month..)

I basically said: buy him a decent pc, and take care
of it yourself, and let him have his disks as reward
for something, or buy him a pc with linux on it so he
has to learn, and might learn something useful. It
looks like he'll end up with a lukewarm winxp box, and
a load of disappointment. Then a broken xp box. Again.
Redmond wins.

I perhaps should never have said to his mother :get
computers, cos playstations are for dummies.

I agree with what you say about google boxes, but
we'll have to see, this is google after all. They
could *give* the boxes away to get market penetration,
lets hope they time it to coincide with the vista
release.

csd