Re: [LUG] buying a laptop, and some m$ talk

On Tuesday 03 Jan 2006 15:26, Stuart Dunstan wrote:
> That computer sounds about right for the teenage lad
> who needs a pc. cheap, and with no high end graphics
> card. Preferably one that defaults to automatic
> updates.

Most of the teenage lads I know have really high end machines so they can play
the latest gore-fests on their XP machines ;)
Imagine the look on the 16 year old hax0rz face when his parents present him
with a new machine running something other than XP - and with low end
hardware!
I really can't see who these machines would appeal to. The youngsters *need*
MSN and AIM to live - and of course top end machines to brag to all their
mates about.
The older people will soon find that the local PC evening class only covers
Windows - so they will struggle.
The more experienced users will buy what they are used to and they will know
what they want from a machine.
Personally, I think Google will be making a mistake if they go down this
route. Anyone want to put money on what the Google OS will be based on?
My guess is Ubuntu, modified to have lots of Google branding - the Google
equivalent of Linspire. Ubuntu purely a guess - but it is apparently the
fastest rising distro - so it catches the eye, and I would imagine Mark
Shuttleworth would be happy to deal with Google.
Second guess would be Linspire itself. They already have some cheap WalMart
machines for sale with their OS - so they are part way there, and are another
very canny outfit.

Mark