Re: [LUG] The younger generation + the older generation

I have to agree with you on this one Tom.

Regarding the message that promted this however

I would like to add a comment about the comment on the older generation, KDE and GNOME are very easy to use, so you are insulting older people too, there are quite a few people on this list who have installed Linux for older friends and they have no problem using it, (can anyone give feedback on this) At the end of the day, a good spec computer, with Linux / KDE and thunderbird, openoffice, firefox and a few other tools, would be welcome to many older people who don't need all the bloat that comes with Windows, esp as you have to then pay extra for MS office, or use MS works which is fine if your friends have Works or you don't mind converting documents. A spec like this would then at least allow them to keep in touch with their families, which would be welcome for many people who perhapas live a long way away or perhaps live alone.

How many evening classes would cover., removing spyware, malware , virues etc etc from computers, I think anyone can struggle with that. Removing MS blast for a friend was bad enough. It's a case of following the example of Tom and others on this list and promote Linux / OSS.

Keep up the good work Tom.

Paul

Umm.. well I beg to differ on that. I do like playing games but on
doze.... look you have already made me feel sick ;-) . I managed to
quite happily stick with IRC or just nice old emails. Also every time I
come across any computer (given to me or other wise) I'm ecstatic and
almost instantly force the person or if its me just to boot up in
knoppix. Then persuade them to do a HDD install. Also with games there
is always cediga and its GNU so its free (alright the binarys aren't).
Really its not that hard to persuade people to use Linux. I think a good
start is just to order some ubuntu CDs and hand them out to interested
people. Only this morning did I go over to a friends and did and ubuntu
HDD install on their main computer.
It seems very derogatory comment about the younger generation overall.
Most definitely not a good way to go about converting them.

--
Tom (the YOUNGER)

The older people will soon find that the local PC evening class only covers Windows - so they will struggle.

Mark