Re: [LUG] The younger generation

On Tuesday 03 Jan 2006 16:19, Thomas Arrow wrote:
> >Most of the teenage lads I know have really high end machines so they can
> > play the latest gore-fests on their XP machines ;)
> >Imagine the look on the 16 year old hax0rz face when his parents present
> > him with a new machine running something other than XP - and with low end
> > hardware!
> >I really can't see who these machines would appeal to. The youngsters
> > *need* MSN and AIM to live - and of course top end machines to brag to
> > all their mates about.
>
> Hi,
> Umm.. well I beg to differ on that. I do like playing games but on
> doze.... look you have already made me feel sick ;-) . I managed to
> quite happily stick with IRC or just nice old emails. Also every time I
> come across any computer (given to me or other wise) I'm ecstatic and
> almost instantly force the person or if its me just to boot up in
> knoppix. Then persuade them to do a HDD install. Also with games there
> is always cediga and its GNU so its free (alright the binarys aren't).
> Really its not that hard to persuade people to use Linux. I think a good
> start is just to order some ubuntu CDs and hand them out to interested
> people. Only this morning did I go over to a friends and did and ubuntu
> HDD install on their main computer.
> It seems very derogatory comment about the younger generation overall.
> Most definitely not a good way to go about converting them.
>
> --
> Tom (the YOUNGER)

Not trying to be derogatory about young people in general Tom :)
On the distro I am the team admin for, we have a number of younger people
( many still at school/college) who give up a lot of their time to help with
making things better - and for nothing other than the satisfaction of helping
others.
I am the father of two teens myself - and both use Windows. They can - and do
sometimes - use Linux, mainly because there is a Linux box in the living room
- so they can use aMSN or whatever whilst watching TV. Both have some small
experience of using Linux. Most of their friends however seem to think Linux
is for the odd geeky types! Guess I don't do a lot to dispel that myth -
being an often bearded Linux user.
However, many of them have expressed interest in Linux in one way or another -
because of the lessened risk of problems or the whole free software
philosophy ( and not simply because its free!)

I game. I play Cube a lot - and I always mention that I use Linux.
I play most of the modern games in Linux natively (Q3A, UT, Doom3 etc) against
Windows players happily. Many are surprised we can play these games in Linux
- which is a great way to promote Linux to the younger people.

Like you, I carry Knoppix disks with me whenever I visit people - just in
case ;)
Its just that we, as Linux users probably see the more "tuned in" young
people? People with an interest in computing in general, open to new ideas
and willing to try.

Mark