Re: [LUG] Palm Lifedrive & Linux

On Sunday 01 January 2006 12:56 pm, Simon Robert wrote:
> Neil Williams wrote:
> >On Saturday 31 December 2005 3:09 pm, Simon Robert wrote:
> >>I am attempting to connect a lifedrive to mandriva 2006. I have kpilot
> >>installed and the palm is recognised when I connect it and the
> >>/dev/pilot node created. Also I can use it in drive mode with no
> >>problem. However when I try hotsync with kpilot it stops at %30 of the
> >>update with a message about being unable to access system information.
> >
> >pilot-link is in the midst of an overhaul for the much delayed 0.12
> > release. 0.11.8 is two years old. I can't see that Mandriva would have
> > 0.12-pre1 or later, so it must be 0.11.8
>
> Hi again
>
> I uninstalled version 11 via rpm, built and installed 12pre4, (where is
> the cvs for pre5 I couldn't see a link on the project page?). kpilot
> acts in exactly the same way, although it does say it's using pilot-link
> 0.11

You haven't rebuilt kpilot from source so it probably cannot tell that it's
actually got 0.12 - and it probably isn't using 0.12 correctly because of
this. (Tip: DON'T build kpilot from source!!)

I'd forget the GUI's until you can get a connection using the underlying
tools.

> I'm asumming it isn't as it ain't there and pilot-xfer from command
> line says its 12pre4. Running pilot-xfer -l it listens for incomming on
> /dev/pilot and doesn't respond to a hot-sync.

That sounds like the problems I had with 0.12-pre4 over USB. I guess this is a
USB connection?

Pilot-link have had problems with proprietary developers cribbing code from
public CVS so the URL isn't advertised any more. (off-list)

> Any further ideas? And the
> lifedrive is on version 2 as I download it as an update to solve another
> problem.

I'm unsure about that version number of the lifedrive - Palm OS was at v5 on
the preceding devices and it makes me think this is a different OS. True to
form, the palmone website claims the OS is Palm OS® 5.4 (Garnet). And it is
USB.
http://www.palm.com/us/products/mobilemanagers/lifedrive/specs.epl

--

Neil Williams