Re: [LUG] UN/Linux/ZDnet

Farseerenterprises sell laptops from fujitsu siemans, not sure if he does others, details on www.farseerenterprises.com

Can't help much more,
Paul

Matt Lee wrote:

Did I mention that I'm going to MIT to work on GPLv3 in January? Just for a couple days, heck - I need a holiday!

Neil: I have my Debian laptop working a bit better now, but I keep thinking I really need to bite the bullet and buy a decent laptop, but I'm not sure if I should buy a PowerBook and run OS X/Ubuntu on it, or an x86 box, and run Ubuntu/XP (Only really need XP for IE 6.0 for testing stuff), could easily stick it on the existing laptop, really.

What would people recommend for decent laptops with x86 processors? Couple of caveats:-

0. I won't buy anything from Sony or IBM directly (no Vaio or ThinkPad)
1. It needs to be light
2. It needs to be well supported
3. Needs bluetooth and 802.11g
4. I don't want a floppy drive, and ideally, no drives on the unit at all.
5. Battery life is good.
6. Trackpad. No nipple mice, balls, or anything weird.
7. High res output, but I don't want a 19 inch screen or anything crazy.

All ideas welcomed...

matt