Re: [LUG] Marketing Linux

Alex Charrett wrote:
On Tue, 6 Dec 2005, Stuart Miller - Ablewisp wrote:

But then perhaps I'm a backup software "fascist", as I haven't liked any
backup software on any platform since "dump"/"restore" for Unix

It's surprising if you liked dump/restore so much, that you're not using the Linux dump/restore tools. They work in an almost identical way.

Have they kept pace?

I know when I liked dump/restore you usually only had one type of filesystem (although it might vary a little between Unixes).

I suspect the (free) tools haven't kept pace with the varying mysteries of filesystems. As such a filesystem agnostic backup tool is desirable (as much as that is possible in a backup system, don't want to go down the NTFS route and discover I can't completely restore my W2K NTFS backups to W2K because we have a directory called "CON" or other stupidities). Down that route lies madness, and lost data.

Debian Sarge only appears to have tools for ext2 from BSD, and the only place I use ext2 currently, is a virtual linux server, which I can backup by other means.