Re: Backing GNU to the hilt (was Re: [LUG] Waiting for keyboard input in a shell script)

Neil Williams wrote:

> It's stuff like pilot-link that can do with funding - we have to test with a
> variety of real peripheral hardware and hardware always costs real money.
> Same story with internal modems, 3D and suspend to disk - these are secrets
> that can only be cracked if the proprietor opens up or we spend enough time
> with enough devices to break it down.
>
> There does need to be a change of mood in free software that any code which
> deals with peripheral or secret hardware should be FUNDED.

Am I getting paid for the fixes to my webcam drivers and software then ;-)

The AFFS is funding some stuff in the UK, and more importantly has
established a process for issuing grants.

Google just did a whole summer of funding.

But where hardware is concerned you want to hit critical mass, so that
the big players help you. 'Via' do Linux, Intel are starting to take it
seriously (Intel really matter here) I think due to interest in the Far
East. I think hardware is an open door in terms of support for specfic
peripherals, but there still aren't enough Linux box shifters.