Re: Backing GNU to the hilt (was Re: [LUG] Waiting for keyboard input in a shell script)

On Sunday 27 November 2005 12:20 pm, Ben Goodger wrote:
> On 27/11/05, Neil Williams <linux@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > There is NO need to have non-free code on a GNU/Linux system. Absolutely
> > zero.
>
> How about graphics card drivers?

Change the card?

> Admittedly there are free replacements, but these in my experience do not
> provide any decent 3d acceleration support, nor the kind of performance
> that the official ones do. And my contribution to them wouldn't help, as I
> would need to have detailed, so-far-more-or-less-top-secret schematics of
> the chip and card designs.

How do you think the current free drivers were written? Someone has to get in
there and work out how these things work, with or without the schematics.

See "Secret hardware" in http://www.gnu.org/gnu/thegnuproject.html

"Programmers can do reverse engineering to figure out how to support the
hardware. The rest of us can choose the hardware that is supported by free
software; as our numbers increase, secrecy of specifications will become a
self-defeating policy."

Notice: It is up to those who can to do the reverse engineering and:
It is up to YOU to use the hardware that is supported - so denying the market
for non-free drivers and chipsets. That is a ideological step, it denies your
selfish desires and concentrates on the needs of others.

"We have complete free systems today, but we will not have them tomorrow if we
cannot support tomorrow's computers."

To support the next generation of graphics cards we need to make sure the
hardware designers realise that secret hardware harms the market.

If your card is not supported, rip it out and replace it.

It's the same with any clean-room build for any external device or peripheral.

You don't know if your contribution will help or not until you join the
current developers and ask. It may be as simple as providing some device
information.

> Let's not get too software-patriotic here, Neil.

Why not? 'Realism' is just compromise. If we all get pragmatic then we treat
the free software community as "just another development model" to quote a
Microsoft employee at LinuxWorld.

Free software is a political, philosophical and practical expression of
concepts and an ideology. It is much more than "just open source".

Think about these things before undermining freedom with proprietary code,
models and practices.

WE MUST TALK ABOUT FREEDOM - continually.

Free software is NOT just about the code, it IS about freedom, choice and the
future. Deny your selfish interests and put others before yourself. So what
if you don't have the latest whizz-bang 3D garbage? Put others before your
self-interest and support those who have stuck with the free software
methods.

Freedom is more important than your selfish concerns. It is better to have no
3D today than to deny 3D to the next generation.

> If
> free/open-source/whatever software is inferior to the proprietary
> equivalent, it makes no sense for the average Blogg to use it.

Don't think of developers as some mystic elite - we are just normal users who
have taken a little time to learn how we can help fix things within a small
area. It's not a superhuman task, nor is it beyond the range of a normal user
to help.

> It certainly
> would make no sense to me to use Rhythmbox, with its truly hideous
> auto-resizing table, when iTunes is available.

Then use something else. I have no need of iTunes on my OSX box. It doesn't
mean it's silent. Instead I choose to use Ogg Vorbis and it's free software
tools. You could look at Rosegarden as an option.

> Nor do I feel any compulsive
> need to convert to Supertux in favour of Half-life 2.

But you should. You are letting self-interest overrule your freedom - that is
just a cop-out.

> I have to, because
> appropriate graphics card device drivers aren't available.

Then remove HalfLife and help out with Supertux or whatever. Have you tried to
find out who might be working on such things? It was the same with Winmodems
until someone decided to try and we got Linmodems. It's not perfect and
support isn't complete but it provides alternatives. Choice is the imperative
here - choices that preserve what you have now for the future.

And before you say you have the choice to use non-free - read the above again.
It is supremely arrogant to make a selfish choice today that contributes to
denying choice to those who follow you in the future.

> Again, a little more loyal than most people.

Then I apologise, I obviously need to talk about this more often.

> Truly, proprietary software is
> a blight on systems, but it's not illegal to use software that doesn't fly
> under the GPL banner.

Not illegal, yet. Proprietary software is always able to change their EULA and
make it illegal to use alongside GPL software. MS has already done so.

Free software is about permanence. It is about the NEXT generation of users
and developers far more than it is about you. Do unto others as you would be
done unto. If you resent the limitations of current graphic card drivers then
make damn sure that nothing in the current development arena gets into that
kind of mess for the future.

Proprietary software can and will be taken away from you with absolutely no
notice, right of appeal or refund. It is wiser to invest your time in
something that will endure than to invest your money into the emperor's new
clothes.

> Stand up for GNU:
> > 1. Never install non-free on a free system.
> > 2. Never promote non-free above free on any system.
>
> Unless the non-free is superior and the free is not very improvable.

No, especially then. Non-free is never superior because it removes your
freedom. How can it be better? Would you choose to be in prison? Then why
surrender your freedoms in other areas so willingly?

Read that again: Proprietary is NEVER better than free software - simply
because proprietary cannot be modified. Free software is always improvable,
that is it's unique strength. SMOP.

(Simple Matter Of Programming.)

> 4. If free isn't to your taste, use the freedom granted to you to improve
> > it!
>
> As far as one can; but when one can't, it shouldn't be frowned upon to use
> non-free.

That never happens. It's always possible to improve the code, it just takes a
new approach. Who knows, you could be the one to implement a new way of
solving the problems in a package. You can't tell until you look and without
free software, you don't even get the right to look.

> Personally, I don't like using proprietary software, especially Windows;
> but it shouldn't be made illegal on a free computer...

That is not under your control or mine. If the non-free developer chooses to
change their licence there is nothing you can do to stop them. Didn't we
learn that with Robin's experience with FEMM?
http://femm.neil.williamsleesmill.me.uk/

With the GPL, once code is distributed under the GPL it remains free no matter
what. The code cannot be brought under a non-free licence later and no one
can stop you modifying it and distributing your modified version as GPL.

Think about the future, not just your selfish immediate needs.

GNU is an ideology, not just another development model.

If you learn nothing else about GNU, remember this:
GNU is primarily concerned with tomorrow, not today. We suffer the
inconvenience now on behalf of those who will benefit from retaining our
freedoms into tomorrow.

We stand on the shoulders of giants but we cannot afford to have feet of clay
ourselves. For people to stand on our shoulders in the future, we must be
true to the people who came before us.

Continuity. Permanence. Freedom. That's the GNU way.

> > Isn't that why we changed the name to DCGLUG?
>
> I will get flamed to hell for this, but it makes no actual difference, and
> I haven't found many people outside the FSF who cared very much.

Then we need to join with the FSF and shout louder about the freedoms that lie
behind the appeal of free software.

"As software patents mount up (see petition.eurolinux.org, and sign it!), and
as laws like the DMCA are used to prohibit the development of free software
for important jobs such as viewing a DVD or listening to a RealAudio stream,
we will find ourselves with no clear way to fight the patented and secret
data formats except to reject the non-free programs that use them."
http://www.gnu.org/gnu/why-gnu-linux.html

"The GNU Project is idealistic, and anyone encouraging idealism today faces a
great obstacle: the prevailing ideology encourages people to dismiss idealism
as "impractical". Our idealism has been extremely practical: it is the reason
we have a free GNU/Linux operating system. People who love this system ought
to know that it is our idealism made real."

"Another way to understand this is that what society needs is free software,
and proprietary software is a poor substitute. Encouraging the substitute is
not a rational way to get what we need."
http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/shouldbefree.html

"But interest in the software is growing faster than awareness of the
philosophy it is based on, and this leads to trouble. Our ability to meet the
challenges and threats described above depends on the will to stand firm for
freedom. To make sure our community has this will, we need to spread the idea
to the new users as they come into the community.
 But we are failing to do so: the efforts to attract new users into our
community are far outstripping the efforts to teach them the civics of our
community. We need to do both, and we need to keep the two efforts in
balance."
http://www.gnu.org/gnu/thegnuproject.html
(near the end of that page, section: We must talk about freedom)

As a GLUG, we are the frontline for those new users coming into our community.
It is incumbent on US to spread the GNU ideology to all who join the GLUG.

That is why I supported the change to GLUG - it is an important statement and
more of the group need to understand the reasons behind the change. It was
NOT superficial, it was the fruit of passionately held beliefs and ideas. It
is the core of why this group exists at all.

> > VB takes the easy way out - it masks the problem under a deluge of
> > unnecessary
> > copies of almost identical, massive, libraries. Doing this the GNU/gcc
> > way is
> > much, much harder but the benefits for everyone would be immense.
>
> Did you read that sentence through before you sent it? "...masks the
> problem under a deluge of unnecessary copies of almost identical, massive,
> libraries ... the benefits for everyone would be immense."

? Of course I did. It sounds like you skipped a bit!

VB masks the problem because the runtime library is a monolith. You have to
install multiple copies of almost identical libraries with slightly different
version numbers. These things are immense - multi-megabyte libraries. Under
that system you have libruntimexxx.0.1.2, libruntimexxx.0.1.3,
libruntimexxx.0.1.4, libruntimexxx.0.1.5 - ALL multi-megabyte libraries of
which each program uses a tiny fraction of the overall codebase. Each single
library contains the code that could be put into multiple small libraries but
because they are monolithic, you can't just update one part of the runtime,
you must have the complete monolith again and again.

The GNU system replaces the monolith with individual libraries, each suited to
their own portion. Each upgraded separately and working together as one
cohesive whole. You only install the bits you want and you never have more
than one version of any one library at a time. You have smaller libraries and
only one version of each. The total install size drops dramatically and the
percentage of code reuse rises just as dramatically.

> I concur, but people's freedoms should never be compromised: if people want
> to write software, they should be made aware of the full range of licenses
> and then be allowed to choose what they want.

Yes, but that includes the restrictions that if they choose a non-free route
then they must understand that they are prevented from using code from GPL
sources. Continuing with the LGPL weakens free software generally.

Free software never removes any freedoms or compromises anyone's freedom. You
are free to not use free software methods - just as long as you understand
that by doing so you exclude yourself from the benefits of such methods,
namely access to GPL code.

Users need to make sure that external developers are clear on our
determination to further the growth of free software by standing firm against
proprietary methods to undermine our ideology. The ideology is why we are
here, it is why we have GNU/Linux in the first place and it is the ONLY thing
that will ensure that GNU/Linux continues into the future.

Compromise is unacceptable.

--

Neil Williams