Re: [LUG] TFT Monitor problem

On Sunday 27 November 2005 1:33 am, Keith Abraham wrote:
> AFAIK Suse 10.0 uses X.org 6.8.2 not XF86.

Now that would make sense - it would explain why Suse didn't select the right
settings for this monitor originally.

In which case, xf86config is the WRONG program to call, sorry. Adam, you need
to call the xorg version: xorgconfig (intuitively enough).

> That said I believe the config
> file isn't that much different. Others here will jump all over me if I'm
> wrong
> about the latter.

The config file does change from XF86 to X.org but it appeared to be more of
an upgrade rather than a rewrite when I had to transition from xf86 to xorg.

man xorgconfig says:
Note that the default name used by xorgconfig for the xorg.conf file is
system-dependent. For instance, on some systems, xorg.conf-4 is used, and on
OS/2, XConfig is used.

I'm using:
/etc/X11/xorg.conf
(but haven't deleted my old /etc/X11/XF86Config yet)

One test you could do:

$ ls -l /etc/X11/X
That's a symlink to either /usr/bin/X11/Xorg or /usr/bin/X11/XFree86

--

Neil Williams