Re: [LUG] TFT Monitor problem

On Saturday 26 November 2005 6:23 pm, Adam Godfrey wrote:
> SUSE 9.0. Problem is, I can't see all of the desktop. It starts off with
> the left  inch cut off and a gap at the other side of the screen. I've
> found a  way to get it to go to the centre but the monitor shows one of its
>  inbuilt error messages saying "Frequency out of range: Reset to 1024 X
> 786 60Hz".

It's complaining that SuSE has selected a frequency range that doesn't match
what the monitor is capable of displaying. That selection can be changed, but
not using the graphic user interface.

> I don't get why it does it, cause it is displaying the desktop
> fine, except for the irritating message. I've found a Configuring type
> thing that lets me change the screen res  and all that.

X needs the reconfiguring, not the resolution tool.

Once reconfigured, X needs to be restarted (e.g. by logging out) and the new
settings will take effect.

> The current
> settings are 1024 X 786 resolution and  73Hz  for the other bit.

It appears that XF86Config needs to use 60Hz - forget the limited GUI tools,
you'll need to get to the terminal and fix this using the command line.

Best to do this outside the GUI by using Ctrl+F1 to get to a console window.
Login as yourself, use 'su' to become root and run xf86config.

It'll ask all sorts of strange questions but it won't update your
configuration until the final stage so you can abort at any time and find out
what you need to set.

TFT panels do tend to require a specific resolution and frequency, unlike CRT
monitors. You've already identified the settings that cause the most
confusion.

To test each setting, type 'exit' to get back to the normal user, use the
command 'startx' to restart X. Typically, you'll have something not quite
right and you can force X to restart using Ctrl+Backspace if X does not close
on it's own.

> Is it a software
> problem

SuSE has selected the wrong settings, that's all.

It can be a little trial and error to get things right. Before you write the
new configuration, xf86config should tell you where it will be writing the
new config. Read that file and make notes on the existing settings so that
you've got those as a reference.

> or will I have to get a new screen?

No. Fix the problem, not the symptom.

It's part of the learning curve - it's time to get your fingers dirty.

--

Neil Williams