Re: [LUG] Meetings Page RSS

On Friday 25 November 2005 6:55 pm, Thomas Arrow wrote:
> Hi,
> Just thinking that at the last meeting only four of us turned up and
> that maybe that was because no one actually saw the Forthcoming events
> page.

It was discussed on the list (which is the usual way of broadcasting a
meeting) and the weather, the evening slot, the location and the sheer size
of the area covered by our group means that this was not our smallest ever
meet!

:-)

Small meetings can have a useful function but what we have always struggled to
create is a regular schedule of meetings in regular venues. Various methods
have been tried and we do have a list of common venues but these are not
suitable for regular meetings for a variety of reasons.

The fact that your email was signed is evidence that small meetings can be
useful! (Tom and I spent part of the meeting discussing gnupg and how to
generate and manage keys. I also helped with a problem in a small C program
Tom had written.)

I hope you've had time to read the DCGLUG FAQ on gnupg - one minor thing is
that most signatures now use OpenPGP/MIME (like this one) because the inline
method (like your message) can suffer from problems. Typically, a genuine
message can end up with a bad signature because of character set conversions
or badly-configured mail relays between you and the recipient. However,
inline signatures ARE easier for Outlook Express users to handle so when
corresponding with recalcitrant OE users, inline can be handy - even though
it is rightly deprecated.
http://www.dcglug.org.uk/linux_adm/gnupg.html

> I don't know whether it is possible or already happens but I
> haven't found it that a rss feed could be created for meetings.

The current RSS is a bit of an after-thought in the current Wiki design and
isn't easy to modify. It's restricted to single page changes rather than a
more common RSS format of overall changes to the website or sections of the
website. Each meeting page has it's own RSS feed but I haven't been able to
create a single feed with an overview of all meetings.

The Forthcoming Events page is not actually part of the Wiki but a static page
that reads Wiki data. If anyone has a snippet of PHP that can turn the
Forthcoming Events page into RSS, I'll gladly take a look.

--

Neil Williams