Re: [LUG] DVD burn error: Sense Key: 0x5 Illegal Request, Segment 0

Dr. David Regis wrote:

> In order to get by error you will need the following:
> I'm running SME 6.0.1 distro which is an adaptation of Red Hat and using...
> cd-utils-0.3.2-1.noarch.rpm
> e-smith-cd-utils-0.2.1-1.noarch.rpm

I've seen the same error reported on on very different systems.

> Successfully installed today and...
> My /mnt/cdrom points to /dev/scd0
> I can mount and read CDs OK on the drive

Have you tried watching, or (possibly easier) mounting a DVD, rather
than a CD? i.e. prove the drive can read DVDs.

Even video DVDs will usually mount fine as a data DVD, so no need to go
splash big money on a Linux magazine with a data DVD attached, if you
have any DVDs to hand.

Writing a regular CD?

Little steps.

> I can see the source files for the burn in the source directory
>
> DVD burn fails with the following message:
> "A CD data-dvd burn has completed, But generated errors. It began at Mon
> Nov 14 12:31:22 2005 and finished at Mon Nov 14 12:31:22
> 2005."

Zero seconds - hmm a bit quick for a real burn alas.

> cdbackup.err
> ------------
> scsidev: '0,0,0'
> scsibus: 0 target: 0 lun: 0

This is the first SCSI bus (or something pretending to be SCSI) in the
system.

For a sanity check of these take a look at the output of;

# cdrecord -scanbus

> Linux sg driver version: 3.1.24

Driver info. This version was introduced in 2.4.19, which dates from
around the release of Redhat 8, early 2002. So ancient in Linux terms,
but should still be capable of writing DVDs (just).

> /usr/bin/cdrecord: Input/output error. read toc: scsi sendcmd: no error
> CDB:  43 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 04 00
> status: 0x2 (CHECK CONDITION)
> Sense Bytes: 70 00 05 00 00 00 00 0A 00 00 00 00 24 00 00 00
> Sense Key: 0x5 Illegal Request, Segment 0
> Sense Code: 0x24 Qual 0x00 (invalid field in cdb) Fru 0x0
> Sense flags: Blk 0 (not valid)
> cmd finished after 0.000s timeout 40s

CDB is command descriptor block, and they mostly make sense to people
who make SCSI hardware.

Basically suggests that an error was encountered that the driver doesn't
yet know how to handle, or the device started babbling nonsense.

I wouldn't be surprised if this was due to a media format issue, like it
is preformatted or some such.

> /usr/bin/cdrecord: Cannot read TOC header
> /usr/bin/cdrecord: Cannot read TOC/PMA
>
> I say a clue, but I'm sorry to confess that means nothing to me: can
> anyone suggest a next step, please?

The end of this thread suggests some causes for similar.

http://lists.debian.org/cdwrite/2005/10/msg00006.html

This was an interesting find, but I've not written DVDs, only CDs.

http://www.troubleshooters.com/linux/coasterless_dvd.htm

Note the "automount" advice as well. Don't want several things all
trying to talk to it at once, with contradictory ideas on what to do.

I'd be suspicious of the drivers, and the drive, and would want to rule
out as big a chunk as possible in troubleshooting. Is booting from a
recent Knoppix CD, and trying to DVD write from that a plausible option
for finding the problem. Would eliminate "old Linux bugs and drivers"
(assuming you use a recent Knoppix CD).

If no progress post kernel version (cat /proc/version), output of
cdrecord bus scan, and anything else you think we ought to know.
Information about the hardware would be handy, like, "is this really a
SCSI DVD writer, or something pretending, and if pretending, how is it
pretending exactly (such as kernel options passed at boot) ?"