Re: [LUG] Configure X.Org with

On 11/8/05, Rob Beard <rob@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Mike Tidball wrote:
>
> > Hi everyone,
> > I'm trying to get my NVidia card (5700) working in 3D in SUSE10.
> > YOU did not install the driver properly so I'm trying the driver from
> > NVidia.
> >
> > The instructions say
> >
> > 3) Configure X.Org with
> >
> > sax2 -m 0=nvidia (0 is a digit, not a letter!)
> >

> > Is X.Org a file or an applet?
> >
> > I cannot find such a file, I thought it used to be called something
> > like X11config on older versions.
> >
> > Any help would be appreciated.
> >
> > Mike Tidball
> >
> IIRC, Sax2 is a program which comes with SuSE Linux to allow you to
> configure X.
>
> Someone correct me if I'm wrong but X.Org is a program, kinda like a
> base package which things like KDE & Gnome run on.
>
> Try opening a terminal and enter the command:
>
> sax2 -m 0=nvidia
>
> Hope this helps.
>
> Rob

Hi Mike,

X.Org is an application, it is the name of project that implements a
open source X server, it is a fork of the XF86 Project. An X server
essentially provides a uniform application programming interface for
between programs and graphics hardware. This means you can say "draw
box 10x10 in black at 7, 2" and it will work on an NVIDIA or over a
network, or on any other device the X server supports.

This is, of course, a massive over simplification.

Tom